Friday, February 27, 2009

The Ever-Popular Issue of Weight



This picture is hilarious to me on so many levels. A friend from high school was going through some of her old photos and came across this one. It was taken on the floor in front of my locker. I have no idea what we are doing hanging out there. Maybe it's the beginning of the day and class hasn't started yet? I have no clue.

Travis and I joke all the time now that we our weights have switched since high school. I was at my heaviest at a little over 145 and Travis maybe weighed 125 pounds. Granted, at the time, he was a sophomore and I was a senior. I had a few more years of growth on him, right? Anyhoo, since then, Travis has gained enough weight to make him look more like an adult than an adolescent and I managed to get my junk food cravings under control. Pre-pregnancy, I was almost constantly at 133. Somehow I got down to 125 for our wedding. Ya, that won't happen again.

Looking at this picture freaks me out. I am currently at 144. That is VERY close to my heaviest weight ever (as is seen in photo above). Rachel and I were talking the other day about how pregnancy goes against everything a female is taught in this day and age. I'm not saying that either of our parents promoted anorexia, but the media has done a darn good job of letting us know that obesity is not an option.

Now, people look at me like I'm a bad person when I say I only gained five pounds in my first trimester. I saw a guy at work yesterday that I hadn't seen in a few months. His first reaction was, "Hey! Congratulations! You look great! I haven't seen you since you got bigger!" Can you tell me when that has ever been said in the same sentence as a good thing? Congratulations you are bigger?! Ha!

I love that I am expected to gain weight (although I want to keep that under control so I'm not in agony after the baby is born). The other hilarious thing is how I am treated like I am injured or incapacitated in some way. I am getting to the point where things are getting a little more difficult. Like bending over, for example. I can still do it, but it takes a little more effort nowadays. Here are a few examples of what other people will not let me do "in my condition":
  • Bend over to unlatch a door. (according to a lady in the break room)
  • Use the stairs, because I might slip on a piece of ice or food. Keep in mind that the stairs at my work are INDOORS. (according to a guy in my lab)
  • Use the step stool. Although I can see this one becoming treacherous in the future. (according to a guy in my lab)
  • Pick up boxes, empty or full. (according to everyone, it seems)
  • The one I am starting to appreciate the most - I am always offered a seat, wherever I am.

I know people are just trying to be nice and I appreciate it. I just worry about stuff, like my bosses thinking having a pregnant lady is a nuisance because she can't do anything. I feel like I am at a point where I am still capable of doing most things, albeit sometimes it may be a little slower than I used to. I am only just past the halfway point in this pregnancy and I've only put on 11 pounds (I have to say I look better pregnant-fat than I do in that photo). I guess I just don't want to lose respect because I've become some lazy pregnant lady.

2 comments:

Alexa said...

You'll be surprised at how you become much more clumsy. I would take precautions when you can LOL!

I love seeing the old photos my friends have posted on facebook. They are so much fun!

Nikki said...

I know! I love the old photos too. I need to get a dang scanner so I can put up some more. The ones from grade school are hilarious.

Powered By Blogger