Thursday, February 19, 2009

We almost made a trip to South Dakota

I didn't feel much movement from Lil' Wodie yesterday and I was starting to get a little worried. I felt a few kicks here and there, but nothing consecutive so I could show my co-workers the leaps and bounds our little one has made over the weekend. Last night just after dinner, my fears were lessened when he was more active for Dad.

When I was just finishing up my shower, Travis came in to announce that our credit card company had raised our interest rate from 5% to 20%. Any fears I had that Lil' Wodie was not alright ceased right then. The adrenaline that kicked in must have woken the baby up to the point that he was doing constant somersaults.

I tore out half my hair while brushing because I was in such a hurry to call that damn credit card company. All the while, trying to ignore the flips that both my stomach and baby were making. You see, several months ago, we paid off that credit card. When we did that, they called me and offered up this deal - lifetime interest rate of 5% for any transferred amount, assuming I don't default. Hell ya, I thought. I quickly moved over a good chunk from another credit card with a much higher interest rate.

In December, I got a letter from that same credit card company stating that they were raising my interest rate to 20%. I was livid because I NEVER would have transferred to them if I thought they would change my rate (let alone within six months). I immediately called and they assured me that I was locked in with the 5% as long as I didn't default. All I could think was THANK GOD we paid off that card. I cannot imagine having to pay off a credit card after they raised my interest rate that much. That is ridiculous. Especially for a customer like me who pays higher than their minimum balance EVERY MONTH. It used to be that you were rewarded for such action.

Back to the present... Thankfully, Travis was looking at our bills in detail last night and he noticed that they had actually started to charge us that 20% interest. That's when he came in to interrupt my seemingly relaxing shower. I barged out of that bathroom like a bull on a mission. I called the company, asked them what the hell was going on and they pointed out that I made a late payment in January. When I went through my bills, it turns out my payment went in two days late. TWO DAYS!

The customer service agent I spoke to was awesome though, and she worked it out with her manager to get my original rate of 5% back. Thank goodness. I was about to do something drastic. Like make a trip with Travis to South Dakota to visit these folks. We've got a baby on the way, plus we just found out we owe a ridiculous amount in taxes despite the fact that we both have our taxes taken out of our paychecks. We just don't have the means to deal with an increase in interest rates right now. We'd probably be on the streets with the other half of America within a few months.

It seems the credit card companies are going to extremes with this economy crisis. One of our friends paid off half his card in one month so he wouldn't be riding on the limit line, risking fees for going over. The next month, he got a letter stating that they dropped his limit amount. Guess by how much. The same amount that he owed. So now he's back riding that limit line. There NEEDS to be a law against that. And one against randomly raising interest rates. Especially if you are a good customer. I can understand such treatment if there are missed payments, under payments or late payments. But not for customers with a good history.

Lil' Wodie is doing flips just as I'm writing this post. I should stop writing now and think about puppies. Or flowers. Or the very sure possibility that I will be holding my son in four short months...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger