Sunday, February 1, 2009

New Home for the Fish

Travis got a fish tank from his boss to exchange with the one that we have at the end of our dining room table. I told him it was fine if he wanted to do the trade, but I wasn't up for it. I used to want a salt water tank, which would still be neat, but they are SO much work. Besides, I can't get any freshwater fish to stay alive except for goldfish and sucker fish. I haven't done any of the super easy fish, like guppies, because I want fish that I think are pretty to look at. Guppies are to small to appreciate.

I don't know what's wrong with my tank. I've taken the water in to get tested and they always say it's fine. Of course, they tell me I should be changing out two thirds of the tank water once a month. HA! The "experts" at PetSmart also say that I can't use the tap water here because the chlorine content is too high for fish. No way am I going to buy enough bottled water to change out the tank once a month. That's a joke.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure how big the new tank is, but it has to be at least 35 gallons. Probably more. We used all the water from the old tank, plus 21 gallons of fresh bottled water.

We aren't finished with it yet. I still need to buy a new tube to hold the motor head for the undergravel water circulation. The old one is too short. We eventually will need a new light. In the meantime we are using the old one. I also need to get a new black background so we can hide all the cords hanging down behind the tank and help make the coral stand out more.

The old tank (this is just a photo I cropped to show what we used to have)


And the new gigantic upgrade

We currently have four fish in the tank: three sucker fish and a goldfish (two of which are Hurricane Ike evacuees). I'm trying to convince Travis to let me get a bunch of fantail goldfish again. He's not a fan of them because they tend to have poop that sticks around longer than other fishy poo, resulting in a dirty tank that needs cleaning more often. I might be able to sway his opinion better if I could just get off my lazy ass once in a while to take care of the tank.

FYI - I totally straightened those photos after I looked at this picture on my computer. LOL!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger