Monday, February 23, 2009

I'm Crashing

Last night was a mess. Every time I have a night lacking in sleep, I remind myself that I have many months and possibly years of that to look forward to. The only difference is that then I will have a little person to distract me from my exhaustion.

Saturday night, Travis was in a Mardis Gras parade in Galveston. He and a friend drove a truck that pulled a float for Tilman Fertitta Hospitality (the man who owns half of Galveston). He had a few drinks during the celebration. When he got home, he wasn't plastered, but it was evident that he had imbibed a few. The funny part here is that I ended up feeling like his mom.

This whole being-pregnant-and-always-sober thing is allowing me to get to know Drunk Travis a little better. Whenever he has been drinking (which is not near as often as it used to be before I was pregnant), he comes home and tries to play it off like he is completely sober. It's like when we were in high school trying not to get caught by our parents. It has only happened a handful of times, and I never get angry with him, so I'm not quite sure why he's trying to hide it. I guess I should appreciate his thoughtfulness.

That night, Travis didn't get much sleep. The whole drinking and sleeping thing doesn't leave for a quality bedtime. That is why I was hoping that Sunday night, after lack of sleep, roughing a hangover and a full day of work that he would sleep great. Turns out, he didn't. He tossed. He turned. He repeatedly whacked me as he rolled over throughout the night. Plus, he fell asleep with the TV on and when it woke me up at midnight, I tried to wake him to turn it off (no telling where the remote was). It took five tries of him seemingly waking up and saying okay, but then rolling over and falling right back asleep before he actually woke up and responded to me properly.

Travis went through this period of months where he would wake up and we would have a conversation lasting several minutes. Then he would fall asleep before I was finished talking. When I tried to finish the discussion in the morning, he had no idea what I was talking about. He had absolutely recollection of speaking to me. I think that might have been what was going on last night when I was trying to get him to turn the dang TV off. UGH.

Needless to say, between the beatings I received from Travis, Phage sleeping on my feet and Travis sleeping in the center of the bed, (also add in here the body pillow and wedge pillow I sleep with) I did not get enough sleep last night. I think my weekend long sugar-high has left me in an extended energy crash. I ate a ridiculous amount of sugar this weekend. There were tons of cakes, cookies and chocolate at a fancy bridal shower I went to on Saturday. My house is still filled with Valentine's Day candy and a tub of Blue Bell Tin Roof in my freezer. THEN, on Sunday, I brought lunch to Travis at his boss' house. I guess his boss is friends with someone who works for Nabisco and that FRIEND left a million samples at his house. I left his house with a bag full of Nabisco treats. Guess I'm finally going to try Cakesters. I try not to keep sweets in my house. If I did, I would weight at least 10 pounds heavier than I normally do.

I have already decided that I am not allowed anything sweet today. I am on sugar overload and I worry that my baby is going to come jumping out of my stomach on his own.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger