Monday, June 15, 2009

The Curious Case of Up Stories

Travis and I have seen a few movies lately. I guess I've been trying to fit in as many as possible before this little one swoops in to steal our alone time. Not that that is a bad thing! (BTW - I'm still pregnant...)

A week ago we went to see Up with Rachel and Scott while it is still in the theaters. I think we all agreed that it was a really great film. My only problem at this point are the raging hormones that make me cry whenever someone so much as drops their lunch on the ground. In my defense, Rachel said she teared up at a few parts during the movie too. I think I cried three times in the first 45 minutes and barely five words were spoken that entire time! I know they give you the gist of the film during the previews with the old man flying his house with a cub scout, but they don't show all the reasons why he's flying away. And all the reasons why the elderly man continues on throughout the end of the movie. Who'd a thought a Disney Pixar movie could be so heart wrenching?

Another movie we've seen recently was The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. I'm sure you've seen a preview for this film, since at this point it is in DVD. I thought it was a great fantasy film, albeit a long one. Fair warning: set aside about 3 hours to watch this one. It's based off of a short story written by F. Scott Fitzgerald.. An interesting thought - how does a 3 hour movie come from a short story? My mom made a good point when she said that the problem with book-based films is there is no way to fit all the details from the book into the movie. With a short story, you can almost do that. Now, I have not read the book, but I thought the film was great.

The most recent movie we've rented was Bedtime Stories with Adam Sandler. I did not really want to see this movie, so I did not have high expectations. In the end, I was surprisingly pleased. My mom and Travis on the other hand, wanted to see the movie and thought it looked hilarious - they were both disappointed. Either way, it was a light family film that allowed me with an excuse to put my swollen clodhoppers up for several hours. It's strange to think of Adam Sandler with all his vulgarities in a Disney film. I thought he still did well considering the level at which he had to tone it down.

Good movies, good times with friends and family. 14 days max until the birth of this baby!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger