Monday, June 29, 2009

The Weekend Before

It was another weekend filled with questions like "You're still pregnant?", "Are you sure you're not having twins?", "What's your due date?" and phrases like "we're all just waiting for you now." It's wearing me out! I want this baby to be born as much, if not more, than the next person.

It's frustrating the hell out of me that I made it up until about two weeks ago without stretch marks and now I have them. If the baby would have just been born a week early, then maybe the damage would not have been so significant.

Enough of the complaining... Friday I went with Brenda, my mom and Ariel to get pedicures at this awesome place that Jenna takes me sometimes. They give arm and shoulder rubs with the pedicure, making it totally worth the drive. Alex came along for the ride, but he refused to let anyone touch his feet. Someday we will break him of that.

After the pedi's, we stopped for ice cream at this parlor called Marble Slab. Their ice cream is ridiculously rich, so most of us were unable to finish our desserts. By most of us, I mean all of us except Alex. After he finished his mint ice cream with gummi bears (he's a teenager), he finished off both my ice cream and Ariel's. I don't know how he does that. Wait, yes I do. He runs 6 miles a day and has a heart rate of 57 bpm. That's practically dead!! He's been running once a day here in this humidity and heat and it sounds like it's pretty rough on him. At least he gets a nice view of the Gulf of Mexico while he runs off half his weight in sweat.

Friday night, we went for dinner at this new greek place in Galveston. It was a lot fancier than I thought it would be. The food was great. Turns out we know a couple people who work there, so we were able to get a free appetizer! I don't think I mentioned it, but when Brenda first got into town, we went out for dinner at another restaurant near there. Travis and I know one of the managers their and she gave us 50% off our meal. It pays to know people!

Saturday morning I hung out with my mom. She helped me go buy groceries and carry them to the car and house (Travis had to work). I'm pretty sure I've done everything possible to get ready for the baby. Our freezer, dry food and canned food cabinets are stocked. The house is clean (not as clean as I would get it if I weren't pregnant, but clean nonetheless). All the necessary baby items, plus more, have been purchased, cleaned and put away. Now we just need Lil Wodie (name to be announced soon!).

Brenda surprised us with a few new gifts: a humidifier, several additions to our Dr. Suess book collection and a bunch of 3-6 month clothes. We also have the occasional surprise package waiting for us on our doorstep when we get home from work. This week it was the second baby gate we wanted from Chrissie. Thank you ladies!!

Saturday afternoon I hung out at Ariel and Robert's new house. My dad planned a BBQ for us and my in-laws. We had pasta salad, potato salad, lettuce salads, BBQ pork sandwiches and ice cream for dessert. No wonder my stretch marks get worse as everyday passes! All I do now is sit with my feet up and eat. The strange thing is that at this past doctor's visit I hadn't gained any weight since the last visit. My books say this is normal. I just don't see how it's possible.

Sunday began Day 1 of Travis' paternity leave. We got super lucky and his boss offered to pay him for his week off. Travis doesn't usually get paid leave, so this was a relief to hear. Want to know how he started his first day off? He changed the brakes on his truck. Exciting, huh? Maybe not, but practical at least.

At noon, Travis and a bunch of my family and our friends headed to the disc golf course and spent the afternoon in this ridiculous heat. I just can't get myself to believe that disc golf is that much fun, but apparently it is. Everyone came back burnt and sweating their butts off. My mom and I had appetizers ready and the sides prepared. My mom wanted to grill out burgers and have the family over. When everyone was at the disc course, she pointed out that this will be my last childless party.

I know my partying days have been gone for months, but I didn't think about entertaining in general. I usually spend the entire beginning of a party in the kitchen preparing food. Now I understand the people on those house shows that want an island between the living room and kitchen with a cooktop on it. It would be so much easier to keep an eye on the child AND have people over. I know I have Travis to help me with everything, but usually he's outside manning the grill.

I guess this baby really is going to change our lives. Teehee.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

is he here yet?!?!?! I want to meet him!!!

Powered By Blogger