Monday, June 22, 2009

The Grandmas are here!

I had Friday off from work for Texas Emancipation Day. It's so crazy the holidays that get celebrated here. But I'm not complaining! I'll take a paid day off from work anytime. My mom and I just played it lazy for the most part. We tried to meet Ariel for lunch near her work at this really great sandwich place, but it didn't work out for her. She has been ridiculously busy for the past month, standing in for the manager at the bar. It's been a whole new experience for her. I think it has really forced her to grow.

Anyhoo, lunch was awesome. We both settled on the BLT that had an insane amount of bacon on it. I'm not complaining. It was tasty. I shared a chocolate toffee cookie with my mom before we headed over to visit Ariel for a few minutes and drop off some leftovers. We found out on the way there that Travis was working at a place across the street, so we walked over to say hi to him.

Travis' mom, Brenda, arrived that evening just in time for dinner. My mom planned a meal of eggplant with spaghetti, since eggplant was on the list of possible labor inducers. Unfortunately it didn't induce anything. It was, however, delicious! I didn't think I liked eggplant. Turns out, if you smother it in Parmesan cheese and marinara sauce, I love it. Ha.

We had a great meal, and Brenda headed to her hotel by 10pm because we are all old folks here. ;) Travis had to work Saturday, as usual. Brenda came over in the morning to relax at our house. While I attended a baby shower that afternoon, my mom and Brenda visited Ariel at work. Travis ended up getting out of work early, so he met them for a couple drinks at the bar.

The baby shower I went to was super cute. It was for a fellow employee who is approximately 5 weeks behind me in the incubation period. She is expecting a boy too. Her and her husband are naming him Luke. I'll give you a hint with Lil Wodie's real name: it's not Luke. =p But that is a great name! I'm just happy it's not the same as the name we have chosen. Because then we would have to silence someone...

After the shower, I ran by the grocery store for a couple items. By the time I got home, everyone was on their way back from visiting Ariel. Travis made tacos for dinner and we called it another early night.

Sunday was Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to all those daddies and daddies-to-be out there!! Travis and I made an attempt to sleep in, which amounted to about 7:45am. Not sure why Travis got up, but I am beyond uncomfortable laying down, so I can't really sleep in anymore. Don't get me wrong, I'm still getting over 8 hours of sleep (minus the bathroom breaks every 2-3 hours).

I gave Travis his Father's Day present first thing: Two books (Where the Sidewalk Ends and Hop on Pop) for Travis to read to Lil Wodie and a bunch of gum. The gum thing is a roll over from what we do for my dad on his birthday and Father's Day. He has this obsession with cinnamon gum and candy, so every year we load him up on cinnamon goodies. Travis is more of a mint kind of guy, so I stuck with mint gum for him.

For breakfast, Brenda and my mom joined us for homemade breakfast burritos, Travis' favorite. Then Travis headed off for a round and a half of disc golf, just him and Callaway. He got back in the early afternoon and we basically spent the rest of the afternoon lounging in the AC like Travis wanted to do. We tried to get Ariel and Robert over for dinner, but again, Ariel is busy with work. I prepared all the food, but Travis cooked it all on the grill.

That was our attempt to keep as much heat outside of our house as possible. For some reason, our AC has not been able to get the house below 78.5F during the day. I need to call around for quotes on getting our system checked out. I know that it has been hot outside (mid- to high 90's + heat index = temps in the 100's), and we are in the middle of a drought, but we never had this much trouble last year. With a baby on the way, I'm much less tolerant of such inadequacies. =D

Stay cool!

5 comments:

Alexa said...

You should call Kai or Chris for Osmundo's Number. He has been a friend of Kai's for years. He has a GREAT A/C business (used to be an airplane mechanic at Starflite). He is GREAT....

Sara's Satire said...

You might also try the guy across the street from us...I will have to find his first name...but its something Bosworth...he owns Bosworth Air conditioning. Maybe have Travis, go over and ask if he would be willing to give it a look. We did that last summer, and he was very nice and came over. Ours turned out to be something silly (a closed attic vent!) But I am sure he would be willing to do it for free, plus he lives across the street!

Mom said...

Sounds like a bit of nesting going on there. I am keeping you and the baby and the family in my prayers. As your due date comes and goes, don't be discouraged. His birthday is already picked out and a party planned on that day - the angels will sing for joy. Rachel was 4 - count them - 4 weeks overdue and my labot (after a very heavy handed pitocin induction) lasted a record 2 hours and 3 minutes. 8 lbs. 1.5 oz of pure joy later, everyone was impressed, well everyone except the gal delivering the package. My OB said my body was designed to give birth and it could accommodate a 15 lbs child - WHAT! And he said it like that was a compliment! OY! After the 8 lb 1.2oz. Rachel, I would beg to differ with him. In the event that you are induced, here is my advice - pay very close attention to the labor, not how frequent, but how strong, not how painful, how strong - you will understand that once it starts. If you want pain meds, get them - "early." By the time both Mitch and the doctor - convinced me that I should get an epidural - it was too late, her sweet little head was already showing - full Dr. freakout ensued. Quickly moving me to the delivery area - Rachel was born within 7 minutes. I am so excited for you and I know you will do just fine. Let the "grandmas" do everything and just rest and enjoy the little man. Once they leave, you will never rest or sleep again. Trust me. I haven't slept through the night since Rachel was born. hahahahahaha.

Alexa said...

Wow Jill...I don't know you, but have SO MUCH RESPECT for you!!! Man! YOU should be the one to get ALL the gifts on your kids' birthdays!!!

Rachel said...

HEY!!! But, I want the presents!! :)

Powered By Blogger