Sunday, March 23, 2008

Merry Breezy Easter!

Yup, it's another windy day in Galveston County. Can you believe it? Thankfully we had a wonderfully pleasant day yesterday. Travis and I got up bright and early to start helping JR and Sara move their apartment into the U-haul. I think we got there at about 8:30am and were heading home by 10:30am to start painting our bedroom. We had enough time to finish taping and then paint the ceiling and above the chair rail before Sara and JR got to the house after their lunch. We switched over again to helping them move everything out of the U-haul and give our paint a chance to dry before we accidentally leaned into it. They asked another couple-friends of theirs to help move so we visited with them on Sara's porch (with two ceiling fans, might I add) and drank a few beers before heading back to our bedroom. We finished the lower portion before we sat down for dinner, but were quick to get back up and do the trim. Unfortunately we only have one paintbrush, so Travis got stuck finishing the trim last night. While I'm here slaving away at work, he's back home putting up the chair rail and crown molding. I hope to have some before and after pics for you soon.

Here's Travis' are-you-joking?-I-can't-smile-while-painting face

And here's my I-never-look-good-while-doing-housework face



Friday night was a blast. We went over to Ariel and Robert's for a crawfish boil. It's always a real experience because their roommate Mike is actually from south of New Orleans. South. As in below New Orleans on the map. You should look that up. Actually, here let me do that for you - click here. You may notice that there's NOTHING south of New Orleans. Just swamp. He's from there and so is his family, obviously. Their house survived Katrina, which is absolutely amazing to me. Because I'm pretty sure everything south of New Orleans is BELOW sea level. Not sure how that's really possible, but I'm pretty sure about it. Back to my story... Mike's parents (very nice people with an unmistakable Louisianan accent) came over to Galveston and brought two 40 pound sacks of crawfish with them. Keep in mind that like lobster, these little critters have to be kept alive before eating otherwise they go bad. The cooking process is fairly quick, but it sounds like a freaking jet plane because of the heat source. The crawfish are boiled along with lemons to help rid of any fishy flavor, potatoes, onions, corn, sausage and garlic. Plus the delicious spicy, Cajun seasoning. To do it right, once it's done cooking everything is thrown onto a plastic covered table and the feeding begins. There's a secret to peeling the tail properly and you are supposed to finish by sucking the juice out of the head, but I usually bypass that part. Here are some photos from the feast.

Crawfish MountainYummy. There's the jet engine boiling pot

Getting ready to suck the juice out of crawfish's head

King and Queen of Crawfish MountainRawr. Catastrophe
Post-feast funSleepy time

I wish I had more pictures to put up of Blair, but since Travis and I are still sick (I finally developed that cough + congestion + sore throat) we are unable to visit a newborn. Hope you guys have a great Easter!


PS - I have posted another link for you to check out. It's another person that I will be stalking through their blog - my co-worker Rachel. She plans to document the daily life of her animated dogs.

PPS - Happy 1st birthday, Logan!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Uh oh...my blog made your blog. that means I have to keep up with it because all of the other crazy blog stalkers like you will be disappointed.

Powered By Blogger