Thursday, March 27, 2008

A Trilogy

I just finished reading the Dark Materials trilogy by Philip Pullman. My mom sucked me into it when she left the first book here after she finished reading it at Christmas. Alexa was nice enough to loan the rest of the books to me (the Omnibus) so I could finish the trilogy. The first book, The Golden Compass, just had a movie made about it and it was fairly light-hearted. I did not realize how dark the rest of the books would be, albeit the title should have given that away. I was told it is a very controversial tale of a young girl and boy who head off to kill God. Woh. It turned out not to be so insane. The "killing" itself was unintentional and the idea of God is different within the book than what it is in the Bible. Everything about it is supernatural and fantastical. I look forward to seeing how they plan to portray the characters' enemies and the different worlds they enter in the movies. I do recommend the books. Although, I spent the last chapter crying my eyes out! I used to read all the time when I was young, but I got out of that habit once I had to spend my time studying for school. I'm trying to get back into it so if anyone has any recommendations, comment me.

Last night Travis and I tried some roasted deer backstrap that my boss gave me. I'm not sure how I feel about it. The first couple bites were good, but I think I have trouble getting over the fact that it is deer. Either that, or the 30 pounds of deer in my freezer has caused me to OD.

Totally unrelated, but just as important - I seem to have developed a habit of waking up in the middle of the night, around 2 or 3 am, to go to the bathroom. This is partially set off by Callaway's random barking in the middle of the night, but it is a horrible habit that I wish I could break nonetheless. My problem is that I just CANNOT stop drinking water before bed. Especially, after I brush my teeth. As it is, I already pee every hour or so during the day. It's going to be hell whenever I get pregnant!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger