Monday, March 3, 2008

Sleepy Kitties

I had made a veterinary appointment for Callaway on Saturday. After I got into town with the dog, they called and said he isn't due for another few months. I was thinking it was time because he's a year old now, but I didn't think about the fact that we didn't get him until about April. Instead, I rescheduled for two out of our three cats to come in Sunday for their annuals.

Since I had Callaway in Galveston already I decided to take him for a walk on the beach. It was mostly a nice walk, but he is soooo skittish around the water. He gets scared when the waves come onshore, but after he's in it he seems to enjoy the water. I took him out on a jetty (which is actually called a groin, but everyone here calls them jettys) and he was running all over the place as the waves splashed up on the rocks. A bum that had asked me for money earlier came over to where we were and sat down. He made me uncomfortable so we left.

I knew I would have to vacuum my car because it is unavoidable to get sand in the car after going to the beach. Now my car looks like a disaster struck! When Callaway gets stressed he sheds a lot. Plus, he likes to sniff EVERYTHING and rub his wet nose on it, so my entire vehicle has doggie-nose-rub spots. Ew. I had to run a couple errands before we left the island, so I left a glass of water for him. The first two times I got back into the car, Callaway was sitting in the front seat. His tail dipped in the glass of water and the ensuing tail shakes sprayed water EVERYWHERE! Darn dog. My car is still a mess. I need to clean it tonight. =(

My visit to the vet with the cats, Sagira and Phage, was every bit as chaotic. I only brought two out of the three because the third is the difficult one and I didn't want to put the clinic out too much in one day. Anyhoo, I didn't look in the kennel before placing Sagira inside and that was a big mistake. I noticed after I was on the road that the bottom of the kennel was filled with dried, sticky dog pee. I have put my sister's Chihuahua in there a few times and I guess he relieved himself in the kennel. Therefore, Sagira's belly and feet were covered in pee. Awesome. I tried to wipe it out as much as possible with Callaway's blanket that I keep in my car, but I think I just smeared it around.

By the time the vet visit was over and the cats were back home, I was ready to lay on my lazy bum and read. I even had some peace and quiet for a little while. Travis went to play golf with his friend Mike (who happens to be Ariel's boyfriend's roommate - got it?) as a repayment for fixing the breaker for his dryer. AND the kitties were so worn out from their vaccines that they slept the afternoon away. They don't normally bother me, but what does irritate me is when Callaway chases them around the house. Luckily, I got a break from the normal pandemonium that I sometimes call my daily life.

Sagira: "little one", Egyptian

Named so because the Egyptians worshipped cats and she is a Bengal that we adopted for free because she was too small to breed.


Phage: "mouth", biological term

Named so because Travis found him as a stray kitten at one of his job sites and when he brought him home he would not stop eating. Like he thought we might take it away from him and he'd never eat again. Poor tiny thing!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

you seriously sound like you hate poor callaway! he just needs some love....he loves you...he is really a good dog. trust me, i have known bad ones, and he is one of the good guys.

Nikki said...

Let's just say that he's more Travis' dog than mine. Maybe when he gets old and calms down I'll claim him...

Powered By Blogger