Friday, August 22, 2008

6 Wonders

If I could have done ANYTHING I wanted for a career, I think I would have chosen deep sea explorer (I am easily sea sick, so this didn't work out for me). It is amazing the diversity of strange marine life that is found down there. I know these aren’t necessarily deep sea animals, but I thought I’d dedicate a post to the oddities out in the oceans.

Frilled shark
Deep sea shark that was thought to be extinct, until live specimen was found off the coast of Japan


Goblin Shark
Not much is known about this deep sea shark


Goliath Grouper
This Atlantic fish can get as large as 8 feet and 300 pounds.



Red-lipped Batfish
Walks on it's pectoral fins



Flat-faced Anglerfish
This fish also walks on it's pectoral fins. What makes it so unique is it's two forward facing eyes.


Kiwa hirsuta, or yeti lobster
This crustacean lives around hydrothermal vents in the Pacific Ocean.

That's all for your marine biology lesson for the week. Anyone have something they think should be added to the list?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger