Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Alex Goes to Prom

My brother Alex is a junior in high school this year. He completes the school year in June and begins his senior and final year this fall. I just CANNOT believe how fast he is growing up. I was nine when he was born, so I essentially remember his entire life. I also spent a few years while I was in high school and my first two years of college taking care of Alex - making sure he got ready for school and was fed and what not.

I was really upset when I had to leave for Texas because I knew I was going to miss so much of Alex's life. He runs in track and cross country and apparently he's one of the better runners in the state and has been offered to run at a couple colleges. So far its only been small colleges without scholarships, but he's hoping for more offers next year.

Alex has played in the school band since he was in middle school. When he does the marching band (for football), he plays the trumpet. But when it's pep band (for basketball), he plays the tuba. I am yet to see that boy work a tuba. I'd say he's about six foot tall and most likely ways less than I did pre-pregnancy, maybe around 100 pounds? He's a thin guy. I can only imagine what he looks like with a tuba. Oh and he loves to rock out on the guitar and piano when he jams with his friends. They had a garage band put together for a couple years, but that sort of fizzled out when all the guys got to busy with life.

The kid also has brains. He has a 4.0 average (on a 4.0 scale) and he just scored a 31 (out of 36) on his ACT. I think it's amazing how he has been able to have so many after school activities and STILL keep up his grades. I barely did any activities in high school and barely scraped by with a B average. He's smart and I'm damn proud of him.

Anyways, a few months ago, my dad mentioned that the preparations for Prom were coming up. He helped setting up Post Prom during my four years in high school and for the additional three years that Ariel was there. I guess he decided to help out again now that Alex is in high school. I can't believe it's time for my little brother to go to PROM!!

When I brought it up to him initially, he said he wasn't going to go. I told him he was crazy. He HAD to go. It's Prom! So, he found a friend/girl to go with and they got a group of friends to go together. Alex had no clue what was involved in getting ready for Prom and I think it stressed him out a little. I had to explain to him the small stuff, like you should get a tux vest that matches your date's dress. Turns out, she had a pink dress. Teehee.

Cool Man Alex


She's the brunette on the right end.
I hope to get non-cell-phone pictures from my dad soon.

Funny part? His date's name was Alexa. Alex and Alexa. LOL! He sent me this little photo from the actual Prom dinner. I know it's blurry, but it brings back so many memories!



I tried talking with Alex last night about how everything went, but when I got home our connection was bad. I'll have to get more details later. It sounds like he had a great time! He even said he was "glad he went". ME TOO! He said Prom was a blast and HE EVEN DANCED. Hahaha! I can't imagine that at all.

After Prom, they always have what is called Post-Prom which is an after party put on by the parents. This year it was at the bowling alley where they have black light bowling, pool, and a variety of other activities. Plus, the parents set up game stations. All of this and the kids HAD to stay until 3 in the morning. Holy crap! That's late! Alex said he had more fun at Prom because he was so tired by the time he got to Post Prom.

The purpose of Post-Prom is to keep the kids out of drinking and driving after Prom. That's why they are not allowed to leave until 3am. THEN, they all got up at 8am to head to Six Flags for the day. LOL! I remember those days. I totally can't do that anymore. Ah, high school. My little brother is growing up!

1 comment:

Sara's Satire said...

Its so hard when little siblings start growing up..Mine is a sophomore in college and about to start her junior year in the fall...She will be 21 next Feb. How in the hell did she grow up so fast? I still see her as an 8th grader. With Ariel its different because yall are closer in age...you grew up together, but with Alex, he was much younger than you so you watched him grow up...and your still watching! I'm glad he had fun and that he has you for advice...he will probably need even more of it when he gets to college!!!

Powered By Blogger