Friday, May 8, 2009

Dilemma of the Hour

For the past month or so, I have started to get some of the side effects of pregnancy that I have read about in all the books and even heard a few friends deal with themselves. Luckily, thus far, they have only been an occasional problem. Now it seems these problems are here to stay.

The first is swelling of the hands and feet. I used to only get it at night, but now it is present ALL THE TIME. This means no more wedding rings. =( If I could walk around all day carrying little baggies of ice, I would.

The second is a pinched sciatic nerve. I used to have good days where I completely forgot about this pain, but then I would have a bad afternoon/evening where the pain was constant. The good thing about those days is it went away after a night of sleep. The sleep trick works no longer. I started having sciatic pain Wednesday afternoon and it has not gone away since.

Here's the dilemma of the hour: When I go to the chiropractor now, he cannot twist me at the abdomen to relieve this pinched nerve (left side only). That means he has to use a mini-jackhammer, which he calls The Adjuster [insert a menacing jingle here], to move my vertebrae. My decision is this: Am I willing to endure the pain of 15 minutes with The Adjuster and three days of bruising and pain in the aftermath for possibly weeks of relief from the sciatica?

My appointment is set for Monday afternoon. At this rate, I am willing to meet with The Adjuster.

3 comments:

Alexa said...

Just try to think about what I went through at 31 weeks.....that may help make you feel better! LOL! I want to have another baby so badly, but I start to cry thinking about the possibility of that side affect coming back.

Nikki said...

Yes, I can see how that might be a slight deterrent. I just keep reminding myself that this is only for a couple of months. I need to suck it up!!

Sara's Satire said...

You only have 7 weeks left give or take, and while I had a rather pleasant pregnancy, sciatica was a problem. It was aweful, but it did go away...and come back, and go away. There were times that I had it for a week or more at a time...but then it might go away for a week. I say try to reschedule your appointment for next Monday...if it hasn't gone away by then, you still have an appointment set up, if it has gone away, you dont need to endure any extra pain. Maybe you could even get an appointment for later in the week, like Thursday or Friday, so if it hasn't gone away you wont have to wait too long to see the chiropracter.

Powered By Blogger