Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Memorial Day Weekend

The rest of the weekend was pretty busy too. Saturday night, I met up with a couple girlfriends from college for Mexican food. They were unable to make it to our baby shower, so they asked if we could meet up. They had seen the pictures from the shower and decided on a monkey themed gift. There was a baby blanket, some burp cloths and a super soft stuffed monkey from this great store in downtown Galveston. The end of the evening was sort of a taste of my future. The girls (who are without children) stood outside the restaurant discussing which bar they wanted to hit up first, as I waddled off to my car eager to get home to my husband. It's not a future I'm disappointed in by any means. It was just an interesting way to make me realize how much my life is about to change.

Travis had decided to spend the night at home. We made plans to rewire the kitchen on Sunday and there were a few things he wanted to get started. He was excited about taking care of my fajita leftovers when I got back. We were in bed by a decent time, eager to get up early and finish the kitchen in one day.

Sunday morning we were up by 8am to start the kitchen rewire. It was only one room, but required a lot of work underneath the house on Travis' part. I stayed up top to catch the wires he was pushing through. I didn't think it would be that big of a deal, but it ended up being a pretty uncomfortable situation. My belly got in the way when I was trying to peer into the outlets on the counter tops. Then my feet started to swell even worse because I was standing for so long. I brought a couple chairs into the kitchen so I could put my feet up between boxes (it took Travis a few minutes to maneuver under the house and prep the wires for feeding). Then my hands started to swell really bad because I was sticking them in and out of the outlet openings, scraping them on drywall, insulation and nails all the while.

Needless to say, I was a little uncomfortable. Then to make matters worse, we had a really hard time getting the wire to feed through to this one outlet. When I finally realized that there was a wood stud in our way, Travis came up from the muddy underside of the house to see what I was talking about. He was agitated, as was I, and he ended up yelling. It's not something we do very often, plus I'm pregnant, so the tears just started flowing. I had to go let it out in the bathroom before heading back to finish the job. Talk about annoying. I'm just not good with crying. Then, of course, Travis felt horrible. But I didn't want to dwindle on anything and just get the job done.

We had all the wire ran by the afternoon, so we had a late lunch and headed up to Home Depot to return the stuff we hadn't used and to buy a couple light fixtures. Since we were up that way, we stopped for groceries and then headed back home. Travis finished up the rest of the work since it was hooking up the outlets and light fixtures. I have no idea how to do that, so it was all Travis. Now we have a bunch of outlets (perfect for blenders and bottle warmers), a three-way light switch for the kitchen light, a new porch sconce and a flood light in the back yard to scare off the bad guys.

I have a feeling that is all we will get done on the electrical in our house until after the baby is born. All we have left is the guest bedroom/office and the attached half bath. Again, it would probably be a one day job, but I don't know if I'm up for another day of that while I'm pregnant.

Monday morning, Travis finally unclogged the bathroom sink. I had to stay in the other room so I didn't throw up, but Travis made sure to inform me that he found an entire Wookie hanging onto the bottom of the drain plug. But hey! The sink drain works again!

For lunch we grilled turkey burgers on the charcoal grill in the back yard. YUM! Then we spent an hour packing the diaper bag and installing the infant car seat in the car. It was so fun! I know that sounds dorky, but it was so much fun to pull out the little baby stuff. I think the car seat is in right, but I'm hoping to get it checked by someone who knows what they're doing. I forgot about it until I got into my car to drive into work this morning and looked in my rear view mirror. I'M SO EXCITED!!!

Travis spent the afternoon playing disk golf again, so I had Alexa over to hang out for a few hours. Travis was hoping to be home before dinner, but that plan quickly went down the drain. He dropped Robert off in Galveston and then was stuck for four hours because the traffic moving off the island was so bad. I guess everyone in the area had the idea to go to the beach for Memorial Day, topped with an accident on the interstate, slowed traffic to a snail crawl. Travis finally made it home around 10:40 with ice cream in hand. That stuff is going to be the death of me. I can't get enough!!!

PS - Did anyone who saw Jon and Kate Plus 8 think it was a super depressing episode?

2 comments:

Alexa said...

Had so much fun hanging out....Blair loved it.

Jon and Kate was SO UPSETTING. He totally cheated....I think so anyway. It seems like he has checked out of the marriage. She seems like a total bitch, but she is also upset over it, unlike him...poor kids!

Nikki said...

I agree. In that last 7 minutes of them being interviewed on the couch when they were asked what to expect in the future, Jon says "I'm here for the kids." That was it! Ack!

Powered By Blogger