Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Infant CPR & First Aid

Today marks 36 weeks. I had a doctor appointment yesterday and doc says that at this point, if I go into labor, then I'm going to have a baby. They would do absolutely nothing to stop him from coming. SCARY. Although, I'm measuring back at 36 weeks, so I guess his growing has slowed a bit. Yay!

I have started my weekly exams which means that I will get a regular update on how I'm progressing. As of right now, I'm not progressing AT ALL. No dilation, no effacement. The baby is in a head down position, but he's still floating around - not fixed and ready to go. There were a few other things that I talked with the doctor about, but I'll save you on the gory details. ;)

Last night Travis and I went to our last scheduled infant class: Infant CPR and First Aid. Alexa had an incident with Blair choking that ended up fine because there just happened to be a trained EMS in the next department at the store. Seeing as I might not be so "lucky" if this situation ever arises with Lil Wodie, I dragged Travis along with me to a class.

I do feel much better knowing that I have these skills now. The main training was on babies birth to 1 year old. The instructor told us what to do for kids older than that, but we didn't do repetitive training for that. It was really sad to walk into a room full of baby mannequins ready for practice. I have to say that the thought of performing ANY of these skills on a real baby scares the crap out of me. I hope that I NEVER encounter a situation when I need to do CPR on an infant. Or child or adult for that matter.

The instructor went over what to do if an infant is choking or needs CPR and then there was a bunch of safety equipment laid out on the tables for us to look at. Stuff like, gun locks and cabinet locks. It is crazy how much safety gear there is out there. At this point, I plan to wait and see what Lil Wodie wants to get into before going out and purchasing a bunch of preventative measures. I remember living with locks on our cabinets when I was little, so my brother couldn't get in and it drove me nuts. I just want to see what we can get away with.

Oh and a plus: Travis learned how to do the Heimlich on a pregnant woman. So if I'm ever choking on a hot dog, Travis won't damage my uterus by trying the normal maneuver under the rib cage. Just so you know, it's the similar move, just on the rib cage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, the gory details are what we all like to hear! Bring it on! LOL!!!
Good for you on the baby CPR, too... we will definitely look into that one next time!

Powered By Blogger