Friday, May 1, 2009

Pain in my Pelvis

That's what this kid has been lately - a pain in my pelvis. I got so bad Wednesday night that I was unable to lay down and fall asleep. Just the prospect of having to bend at the waist was enough to deter me for a couple hours. I tried Tylenol, sitting on all fours, the birthing ball, heck I even tried sitting on the toilet to see if that might relieve the problem. Unfortunately, nothing helped. It wasn't until I was completely exhausted and willing to lay down on this pain in my lower right abdomen that I finally found a position where it didn't hurt.

But each time I tried to roll over in the middle of the night, the pain would wake me up and I would decide not to roll over. That means I woke up with one hell of a crick in my neck yesterday morning! The pain was still present, but not quite as mean as it had been. I slowly got ready for work and then thought gas relief! Maybe it's gas? During the ride to work, the pain went away. So I was beginning to think maybe it was gas. But after I got out of my car and started walking around at work, the pain came back. It was excruciating and all I wanted to do was lay down, so I took a sick day from work.

I called the doctor's office to make an appointment and it was set for 3pm. They told me to take it easy in the meantime, so I headed home for my couch. After an hour, I got a call back from the doctor asking me to come in at 1:45. That was no problem since I was already home for the day. I got into the office a little early (since I had nothing else to do) and they got me in pretty quick.

I ended up seeing the nurse practitioner (NP) instead of my doctor, but I had seen her before and I like her. She ran a test to see if there was any fetal fibronectin present. If there is, then that means I am going into prelabor that would need to be stopped in the hospital. The doctor's office never called with the results, so I'm assuming no one was alarmed enough to think I needed to hear them. The pain came and went as the day progressed, but nothing as bad as it had been that morning or Wednesday night.

The NP told me during the visit to drink plenty of fluids, as dehydration can cause contractions. I knew this already and have been chugging water like nobody's business since Sunday because of the Braxton Hicks contractions that I have been having.

The NP asked how the fetal movement was - again I scoffed and said he's plenty strong, we don't have to worry about that. She said that was another possibility. The baby is at almost full strength now and the amniotic fluid is starting to disappear as the baby takes more space in the womb. That means less cushioning for all the blows. She said there is a chance that the baby is putting pressure on something, like an organ or tissue or my pelvis, causing this pain.

Has anyone read the Twilight books? The character Renesme keeps popping into my head. (If you haven't read the final book, but want to, I wouldn't recommend looking up who this character is.)

I am feeling much better today and I'm hoping this keeps up. Travis and I have plans to go to the Dave Matthews Band concert tonight and then OUR BABY SHOWER IS TOMORROW!! Did I mention how excited for that I am???

1 comment:

Alexa said...

I am glad you seem to be feeling better. Towards the end, I was not able to roll around at all at night, hence, many a night going back and forth from the couch to the bed just to get a change.

I had NO IDEA you were going to a concert tonight! I will have my bed all nice and clean and cozy so you can rest if you need to tomorrow. :)

Powered By Blogger