Monday, May 18, 2009

My goldfish is not a goldfish

Wow. So this is the first weekend in over five weeks that I have not had anything planned for the weekend. While I do enjoy having a busy schedule, I was ecstatic to have two full days to get things done around the house and run a few errands.

At the end of last week, Alexa brought over three goldfish to add to our fish tank. We only had four fish and three of them were sucker fish that stayed on the bottom for the most part. Alexa felt bad for the lone Bubba (that's what she dubbed him due to the permanent "doh" face he has) and wanted to get him some friends. Bubba is an Ike evacuee, so I never knew what type of a fish he was. He's big and orange, so I assumed goldfish. So, Alexa picked up three new goldfish to be his friends. Unfortunately, one of the sucker fish did not like the golfish and proceeded to pick them off one at a time. By the time the second goldfish fell victim to the bottom feeder I knew who the culprit was. Travis flushed the second dead goldfish AND Hannibal Lector down the toilet. Stupid fish.

We attempted to buy some new fish to replace the two out of the three dead, but the store was completely out of goldfish! Wierd, huh? Anyhoo, while we were looking at the fish, we found out that Bubba is NOT a golfish, but an aggressive parrot cichlid. The cool part is, he's not some cheapy fish. They are $16 a pop at the pet shop! The problem is he is an "aggressive" fish. Meaning, we should only put other aggressive fish in the tank with him. There are a few other types of cichlids that we might get to put in the tank with him. In the safety of the one remaining goldfish, he may be going to live with Blair soon.

Friday evening, Travis took me on a movie date to see Star Trek. I felt like every other day I had someone new asking me if I had seen the new Star Trek movie because it was awesome. I told Travis that if I didn't seen this movie before Lil Wodie came I would be a little upset. So he did the dutiful thing and took me on a date! ;) I ate lots of sugar and we left the movie without one bathroom break! My only complaint is that the theater was not freezing cold. That is the thing I hated the most about going to the theater before, but I was actually looking forward to that this time. Unfortunately, they had the AC on low. I'm sure everyone else in the theater was comfortable, but I felt like my hands and feet were going to explode by the time we reached the car. This whole being-hot-while-pregnant thing is getting really annoying. PS - the movie was awesome.

Saturday, Travis had to work, so I stuck around the house and got a lot of much needed cleaning done around the house. All of our animals are shedding their winter coats, plus we had Marley with us all last week to play with Callaway and knock every last possible loose hair off his body onto my floor. The hair build-up was ridiculous and out of control. But now it is under control.

We also got a bunch of random things done around the house that I think seriously improve the look of our home, for not much money:
  • Hung a mirror above our TV in the living room;
  • Put together the baby swing;
  • Travis put new mulch in our garden and around all the trees in our yard;
  • Repaired the leaky kitchen sink for just $4;
  • Moved a bunch of our glassware into the cabinet above the sink to make room for baby feeding gear.
By Saturday night, I was sure I would never walk again. I fought through the sciatica all day to get as much done as possible. Getting up in the middle of the night to pee was a miserable experience. I think this sciatica can best be described as a cross between arthritis and a dislocated hip. Lovely, let me tell you.

Sunday, Travis had all day off from working. We slept in that morning and then ran some errands. First, we went to Barnes & Nobles to pick up a baby book, courtesy of my mother-in-law (for Mother's Day). I found this super cute one by Eric Carle, who I think I might be a little obsessed with. Travis browsed the electrician's books (very exciting) and then we headed further up the road to Babies R Us. I decided to go with the doctor's recommendation to try a belly bra and let me tell you I feel really cool wearing this thing. I can't tell you yet if it is helping. I do feel some relief, but the sciatic is still very much ever present.

After Babies R Us, we were off to my FAVORITE grocery store - HEB. They carry my favorite yogurt and roasted soy nuts in bulk. YUM! I told Travis that from here on out, I refuse to go grocery shopping without him. It is much easier to send him off to grab several items in the next aisle. It goes so much faster. Plus, he loads and unloads the majority of the grocery bags to and from the car. SO much easier on my back!

Sunday afternoon, I planted flowers in a hanging basket. I'll let you know how long they live for. Oh and I finally washed all the baby toys. Soon after Travis went off with Robert to play disk golf - his new favorite hobby. I didn't feel like sitting at home alone, so I went over to hang out with Ariel for the rest of the day. Bonus: she fed me!!! I had lots of snacks and then for dinner we had spaghetti using a family recipe that I have not had in forever. It was delicious.

When I got home, at dusk, Travis and I did a few last minute things in the nursery. I put away the dried baby toys and Travis moved the CD player into the nursery so we can play music for him at night. I figure if we want to do that while he is sleeping in our room for the first few weeks, we can just use the Playstation. Now we are just awaiting May 29th to go purchase the playard co-sleeper we want to use. I have a 15% off coupon that will really help out on this large purchase. Cross your fingers that Lil Wodie doesn't come before then!!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

WOW, your ticker says you only have 35 days left!!!! How exciting!!

Sara's Satire said...

Sounds like you were pretty busy! I sure hope the baby doesn't come before May 29th...I cant wait to meet him though!

Powered By Blogger