Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Travis to the Midnight Rescue

I still can't figure out what the purpose is of some of these pregnancy "side effects". I think some of them should be dropped. Like swelling for example. I understand that it is a woman's body's way of preparing for the fluid loss during labor and delivery, but could we speed up natural selection and just have a bag of water that fills up in our belly or something? That seems like it would be much less traumatic than having to find that you no longer fit 90% of your shoes and having to witness the sausages that I pull out of my sneakers at the end of the day.

Also pointless? Pinched nerves. I mean really, how has the body not figured out a way to expand without pinching stuff off? What if it was a blood vessel?! Which I guess that problem sort of does arise if you lay on your back, causing the uterus to compress the inferior vena cava.

Last night's adventure involved the always fruitless Charlie Horse. I had a talk with Travis a few months ago about this problem I've been having. I get these random HORRIBLE calf cramps in the middle of the night. Before, I could take care of them because it was no problem to reach my lower leg. Nowadays, that's easier said than done. Especially with this pinched nerve thing. So last night, I had to shake Travis awake to massage the cramp out while I attempted to stretch my foot backward on his knee. It took him about 3 seconds of me squealing for him to squeeze my calf before he caught up with me. It worked magnificently and we were back asleep in mere minutes.

BUT THEN! Two hours later, the same damn thing happened to my right leg. I woke Travis up again and he helped me work out the cramp. This morning was hilarious. I thanked him for coming to my rescue twice in one night. His response? "What was that all about?" He had no idea what was going on. LOL! He said that he's had cramps in his legs before, but never randomly in the middle of the night. What?! I've been having these Charlie Horses off and on for months now and I always complain about it in the morning because it feels like I ran 10 miles in my sleep. Did he think I was joking?

Could there be anything else that might keep me awake at night? I've heard it a million times that the last couple months of pregnancy it is almost impossible to sleep, but now I'm actually experiencing it. I guess this is one way in which natural selection has prepared women for the onslaught of sleepless nights once the baby arrives. Why can't we just save our energy for the baby's arrival?

5 comments:

Alexa said...

33 DAYS!!! AHHHH! I can hardly contain the excitement!

Nikki said...

Not that I am particularly excited about delivering a baby, but I think I might finally be to the point where I am ready to have him. I think the benefits of having him far outweigh the pains of carrying him. Although, I do want him to stay in there for at least another couple of weeks so he is closer to being done cooking!!

Sara's Satire said...

Just keep reminding yourself that YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!!! Try to remember that you have a little over a month left and when all is said and done, you will have a beautiful little boy and all of this will seem so far away...hell you wont even remember half of it. Not to make it worse....but for the first couple of weeks after he gets here...you will be so tired, you will actually want these days back...only without the cramps! YOU ARE DOING GREAT!

Da Momma said...

Okay, so whatever side the "pinched" nerve is on, lay on the other side at night. If it is centrally located, lay on your left side. Really simple, but it should help. Rachel used to roll onto the nerve that sent feeling to my left leg. Ramdomly, I would fall down becasue she would roll over or step on it with her wee foot and I would only have one working leg. hahahahahaha.

Nikki said...

LOL! Crazy Rachel... I have noticed that my hip/back doesn't hurt as much on the days when I sleep on my right side (pain is on the left). I only roll over twice during the night now and that's after getting up to pee. Ha! Thanks for the tip!

Powered By Blogger