Thursday, September 11, 2008

Getting Nervous...

It still looks like Ike is going to hit just west of Galveston - meaning we are going to get a shit load of wind and rain! They are saying now that my area will experience hurricane-force winds. Yay. If you read Sara's blog post you can read the same exact conversation that I had with Travis last night (minus the kid). I do not want to stay, but I have to at least until they let us out of work. Which as of right now is 4pm for me. And that's only because I came in an hour early to get things started. I'm hoping they'll end up letting us go early. Otherwise I'm going to be sitting on my ass staring at a bunch of equipment in bags all day. *sigh*

This whole evacuation thing seems to be a hard decision for everyone to make right now. None of my friends have made the choice just yet. Travis and I will most likely be staying at home. Our neighbor across the street, Cowboy Willy (yes, that's what he goes by), said that he was here when Hurricane Alicia (Cat 3) hit in 1983 and that barely flooded the ditches in his yard. Flooding is what I am most worried about. I'm not directly on the water, so it's not as big of a deal. I guess then I start thinking about the gigantic tree in our front yard and the fact that our roof could blow off at any moment. Aren't these normal things people worry about?

The one thing I am VERY grateful for is that my sister Ariel will be out of town during this storm (meeting Robert's family in west Texas). She is really bummed she's going to miss it, but I worry that she would do something stupid, like hang out on the beach to watch the storm come in. Now I have one less thing to worry about. Phew!

Totally unrelated... When I left for work yesterday morning I was locking the deadbolt on the back door, like I always do, when the key snapped in half! With the "working" half still in the lock. Super Nikki!! I had a momentary freak out when I realized I could no longer get into my house. Granted, I didn't need in until I got off work at 5pm, but I REALLY don't like the idea of not being able to get into my own home. I decided that when I got off I would pop into Sara's and get the key we leave with her. By the end of the day, Ariel had decided to leave her car at my house in case the storm does hit. It floods by her apartment when it rains too hard, let alone a hurricane. Lucky for me, Ariel has a key to our house on her key ring! I got right in after work by using the front door. I paid the bills and when Travis got home he pulled the other half of the key out of the lock using pliers, then we headed to the grocery store. It was pure chaos there. Foresight?

No comments:

Powered By Blogger