Saturday, March 14, 2009

Grilled Caesar Vegetable Salad

Travis and I had Sara and JR over last night for dinner and I wanted to try something new for a side. Whenever I get on this kick, I flip through all the various Betty Crocker cookbooks that I have picked up at the cashier in the grocery store over the years. This week, I came across a recipe titled Grilled Caesar Vegetable Salad. Normally I would have skimmed right past it for two reasons: One, it contains mushrooms, which I generally hate (I like the flavor, but not the consistency). And two, it requires Caesar dressing, which I have only started to like within the past year.

I decided what the hell, let's do it. If I don't like it, there's a chance that three other people might. It seemed worth the risk. Well, it was a huge hit. Even I liked it. I think that is the first time I've taken a bite of a mushroom and not immediately spit it back out. My mom always said that if I ever liked mushrooms, it would be portabellas. I think she was right.

It always seems funny to me to take vegetables and smother them in some calorie ridden sauce. Then I was thinking, we are still getting the nutrients, right? That's what I'm worried about most right now. Not so much calorie or fat intake as I am worried about getting enough of the vitamins and minerals I need to grow a human.

I didn't really measure everything out exactly, so here's my slightly-different-than-the-original version of Grilled Caesar Vegetable Salad:
  • 1/3 cup Caesar dresssing
  • 2 large fresh portabella mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
  • 2 medium bell peppers, but into 1/2-inch strips
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into fourths
  • 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
  1. Heat grill for direct heat.
  2. Brush mushrooms, yellow squash and bell peppers with oil. Place vegetables in grill basket.
  3. Cover and grill vegetables over medium heat 5 to 7 minutes, shaking basket or stirring vegetables occasionally, until crisp-tender.
  4. To serve, place on serving platter and sprinkle with tomatoes. Drizzle dressing over vegetables and sprinkle with cheese. Serve at room temperature.

2 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

Funny thing...I have been thinking about this for when we get back from Vegas. I think I am going to try to make it with asparagus instead of the mushrooms. mmmmm.... maybe I will throw the mushrooms in there anyway since JR liked them so much!

Rachel said...

mmmmm...i love asparagus --> good thinking sara! And...mmmmm mushrooms...crap now I have to make it too

Powered By Blogger