Friday, March 20, 2009

My new favorite website

I met Ariel and Allison for happy hour at a Mexican restaurant yesterday after work. Of course, I didn't get to partake in the happy hour drink specials, but I did enjoy the chips with salsa and queso appetizer and shared enchiladas with Ariel.

Travis got home around 9 after a day with no time to eat a meal. He wanted to see what his blood sugar was since all he had eaten since noon was a chicken nugget. He pulled out my glucometer and gave himself a prick. It was 85!!! After practically nine hours without eating, it was only an 85. I'm pretty sure mine would have been a zero. Normal levels are between 80 and 120. After a week of testing myself, I found that I get sick (shaky, hot, dizzy, clumsy, etc) once I drop to 85 or below. Not sure what it takes for me to faint.

I am getting VERY nervous about the glucose tolerance test I have to take in a couple weeks for the doc. I have to fast for three hours prior to chugging a load of some sugar-loaded drink. The purpose of the test is to see if I have developed gestational diabetes (which is something I have to worry about moreso because I have hypoglycemia). I'm hoping I don't faint prior to the drink. And then I'm hoping I don't get sick and vomit after the drink.

I do not do well when I have to wait more than one to two hours between meals or snacks. I told Travis he has to drive me to that appointment because I don't want to be responsibile for a 20 car pile up on the interstate because I fainted behind the wheel. Plus, I might need someone to peel me off the ground at the doctor's office and carry me home. I'm scared, can you tell?

****************************************************

I would like to introduce you to my new favorite website. If you are having a particularly bad day, you should offer up a post...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't fret about the glucose test... what I found worked was to stay off sugary foods for a day or two prior to the test, and fiber it up... it lowers your blood sugar! Just a little tidbit :) You'll be fine!!!

Nikki said...

Oooo, thanks for the tips! Although I've developed a bit of a sweet tooth in the past few weeks. Avoiding sugary foods for a couple days is really going to test me...

Powered By Blogger