Monday, March 30, 2009

My poor kitty!

Sagira had an accident on Saturday. =( Travis and I decided to switch to satellite TV (amazingly it will save us money), so the technician was at our house. He was here for five hours! But that's unrelated... Anyway, I leaned a 6-foot ladder against the wall for the technician to use and walked away. A few minutes later, I heard the ladder crash to the ground. I went to make sure it didn't cause any damage and I leaned it back against the wall. Sagira is always knocking stuff down and she is always fine, so I didn't think to go check on her.

Next thing I know, I hear Sagira yowling in the dining room. I immediately went to make sure she was okay, but she didn't really seem to be. She was crouching in a strange position on a chair at the table. When I tried to pull it out to take a look at her, she slowly walked over to the next chair while staying very low to the ground. I tried pulling out that chair, but she went across the table to the other side. I figured she was hurt and didn't want to be messed with, so I tried to sit near her to see if I could get a glimpse of any possible damage.

She finally sat still and I tried to look her over from a distance. She had her eyes squinted almost completely shut and she was shaking. Then she started turn her head back and forth from straight on, to the left and back again. She did that over and over for five minutes, occasionally licking her nose. That's when I noticed blood coming out of her right nostril. I wasn't sure if she had a scrape on her nose or if she had bonked her head so hard that she was bleeding from the nose.

I worried that she might have hurt her back or neck. I didn't find a scrape or lump anywhere else on her body. I immediately called the vet to see what they thought and they recommended bringing her in. I was too afraid to move her, so I waited for a few minutes. After about 10 minutes, she finally started to let me pet her. I got her to turn her head to the right and she ate a treat. I called the vet back to let them know she was doing better and if anything changed for the worse I would be right in.

Thankfully, it never came to that. She sat on the couch, under the blanket I covered her with, for several hours that afternoon. I was so worried about her, but she was definitely back to her normal self by Sunday. Travis and I had to yell at her to get off the counter when she tried to get a taste of the taco leftovers we had sitting out while we ate. Sagira's nose is still really swollen. If you look at her profile, you can see a bump on the bridge of her nose. I'm pretty sure the ladder hit her right on the schnoz when it fell.

It would be absolutely HORRIBLE if anything happened to one of my cats, and I hate to say it, but especially if anything happened to Sagira. She's my sweet pea! (Bella pees everywhere and I'm pretty sure is bi-polar. Phage is an awesome cat, but he thinks he owns our bed and drives me nuts at night.) Plus, I don't think I could handle those emotions while I am pregnant. It was all I could do to not have a nervous breakdown when I realized she was hurt. It was a close one!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger