Wednesday, March 18, 2009

No green beer for me!

I hope everyone is feeling well this morning - no hangovers on our side. I guess that's what happens when you put a baby in the mix. My dad will be happy to hear that I did not put green food coloring in my milk at dinner last night. He was worried that I might feed my unborn child artificial coloring that might cause him to grow a third nipple or some other random extra appendage. No worries Dad!

When I was a kid, my mom would make corned beef, cabbage and potatoes every year, which we washed down with green milk. It was one of the special occasions when Ariel and I were allowed to use wine glasses for our milk, so we always looked forward to it. That is, until the food came out. I've never been a big fan of the Irish meal. Turns out, my tastes have changed!

Yesterday was my first time making the traditional St. Patty's Day meal. It was SO easy. You basically just boil the hell out of everything. The corned beef, carrots and onions boiled all day in my Crock Pot. Then, when I got home, I spent an hour boiling potatoes and cabbage. Interesting process. Robert said the reason the Irish boil everything is because they all have bad teeth, so they need their food to be soft for easy ingestion. Ha!

I was worried about having lots of leftovers. I had a feeling this would not be the sort of food Travis and I would hurry to pull out of the fridge to eat again. To solve this problem, I had Ariel, Robert, Rachel and Scott over to help us out. (It was our first chance to really test out the new dimmers on all the lighting Travis set us up with. I am VERY happy with the results.) I was worried that there wouldn't be enough food for everyone. 4 1/2 pounds of beef, 10 potatoes, 4 carrots, 12 green beers and a head of cabbage later, there were still plenty of leftovers.

I'm blaming that meal on the shock I had at the break room scale this morning. I finally broke a buck fifty. AHHH!!!

******************************************

PS - I have to mention here that yesterday when Rachel got to work and noticed that Zhenya (our new co-worker) was not wearing green, she asked if that meant we get to punch her. What?! I waited a minute to see if she was joking, but she was not! I had to fill her in that it is "pinch", not "punch". LOL! Guess she hung out with too many guys during this holiday in the past. Although it does seem fitting, since the Irish are known for their anger and quickness to fight...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A buck-fifty, huh? You poor thing... I think that's how much weight I actually gained ;)
I"m sure you look just stunning :)

Nikki said...

Oh I seriously doubt you gained 150 pounds!!! I'm not freaking out too much. It's just a difficult number to accept when standing on the scale...

Powered By Blogger