Thursday, March 5, 2009

Swimsuit Season

There is a chance that this Saturday, I will get to show off my belly in a bikini. LOL!! My sister is having a picnic on the beach for her boyfriend Robert's birthday. As of right now it is supposed to be 72 degrees, cloudy and windy. If it's cold, I'm not stripping down to the swimsuit. I hope it does end up being nice enough - for my pale legs and for Robert's birthday celebration.

My only worry about being in the sun is chloasma, the mask of pregnancy. Again, blame it on the hormones. Pregnant women can develop dark spots on their skin from being exposed to the sun. I'm hoping that for once in my life, my pale skin will be a good thing. Women with darker complexions are more prone to chloasma, so maybe I'll skip right over this problem. If that's not the case, I'll be sure to take pictures to show you Monster Nikki. Don't fret! I will be wearing sunscreen!

Last night I got out my swimsuits to try on. I'd like to see what I'm getting myself into. I still fit two of them - thank goodness for side-strings! Rachel also loaned me a bikini that fits. I feel sorry for everyone who may have to witness my blinding whiteness and not-so-perfect thighs. But who cares? I can only guarantee that I'll be pregnant this once! (Although I hope for a couple more goes at it.)

I noticed the funniest thing yesterday when I was trying on the swimsuits. When I stretch backwards a little bit, or try to push out my stomach (more than it already is), the skin around my belly button becomes taut. It ends up looking like I have a white ring around my belly button. Ha!

Oh ya, (I just remembered because I tried switching how my legs are crossed) I had my first experience with a Charlie Horse while pregnant. YUCK. Total, I have only had two of these prior to pregnancy. I do recall that they were horrible. My recollections were correct. I'm sure it only lasted a total of 30 seconds, but it felt like minutes. It really isn't the best way to be woken up in the middle of the night! I just massaged my calf and attempted to pull my toes back to stretch it out. It was a little difficult with my burgeoning belly in the way. I hate to say it, but I might need Travis' help to solve these if I have anymore.

I've heard that problems with muscle cramping can be associated with a lack of electrolytes. Not sure if this is the case for a Charlie Horse, but I'm going to try eating a banana either way. Can't hurt, right?

4 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

okay two things...first, leg cramps...try buying a bar of soap and putting it in your pillow case (your leg pillow) or under the sheets at the foot of the bed. I know it sounds like nonsense, but I have been told by many, including my doctor and my grandmother that for some unknown reason this actually works for some people. Second, Chloasma, if you haven't gotten it by now, my understanding is that you wont get it. From what I have read and heard, you usually develop this in the first trimester, and if you dont then you are usually in the clear. The expsure to sun makes chloasma worse, but it wont cause it to occur!!!
Hope this was helpful...I will need to see pics of you in the bikini...or maybe you can just wear it to the bachelorette party that evening!!!

Nikki said...

Pregnant lady in a bikini at a bachelorette party?! I just might fit in at the bars in Houston! LOL!

Sara's Satire said...

Retraction...apparently you can get chloasma at anytime during pregnancy and the sun can bring it out! See....this is why you shouldn't take advice from anyone unless they are a doctor, and sadly to say, no matter how much I watch ER, Grey's Anatomy, Private Practice, House, etc., television is not part of the curriculum to become a doctor!

Nikki said...

Teehee. That's what I was thinking What To Expect When You're Expecting said... Still not fun.

Powered By Blogger