Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Hidden Treasures

So, I guess while Travis was on one of his many trips into the attic on Saturday afternoon, he came across a few items lost between the air ducts:

A children's giraffe coat rack


And two Balinese Room bamboo cups



I am debating whether we will use the coat rack or not for Lil Wodie's mini-jackets. I would like to, but there seems to be a little roofing tar on an ear and one of the upper hooks. Also, the fact that I do not know this giraffe's history makes me weary to expose my child to it. We thought about painting it, but then we would lose the details of the face. There is no way I could reproduce that.

For those of you who don't know what the Balinese Room is, it was a bar on the Seawall in Galveston. Back in the day, it was the main locale for illegal gambling in the area. It was located on the one of maybe five piers that existed along the beach on the island. The entire pier (along with three and a half of the other piers) was completely destroyed during Ike back in September.

I only went inside the business once before it was demolished. I used to use the building as a landmark for where to turn off the Seawall when I was giving directions to our old apartment.

As for the Balinese Room cups, I think we will keep them for a while. Travis checked on Ebay to see if they would be worth selling. The only thing he could find was a plate going for $145. Treasure in the attic?

Balinese room, pre-Ike, June 2008


Balinese Room, post-Ike, March 2009


Hope you're wearing green today... Happy St. Patty's Day!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger