Friday, March 12, 2010

8 Months Old


New tricks:
  • Aiden can wave. We're working on waving during the correct situation, as opposed to whenever it seems fun.
  • He is an expert at going from sitting to laying on his stomach. Can't do the reverse just yet.
  • He can put the spoon to his mouth with food on it. It's a slow process though, so a lot of that food ends up in his lap.
  • He loves clapping.
  • We are working on drinking from a sippy cup.
  • We are also working on the pincer grasp.

A couple nights ago I let him go at it with a spoon and some pureed broccoli. Oh man was THAT a mess. He went straight from the high chair to the bath after that one. I was proud of him grasping the concept of using a tool to get food into his mouth though. He'll just need some time to hone the skill.

Drinking out of a sippy cup is also a slow moving task to learn. Sometimes he will drink from the sippy cup, but only if it is juice. He doesn't seem very impressed with water. He also will only drink from the sippy cup if it is upside-down. If it is right side up, he flinches away like he doesn't like it being in his face. Not a big deal except that it is harder to get juice into the mouthpiece when it is upside-down and the pressure-release hole drips on him the entire time. We'll figure it out. Eventually.

I'm stoked he has been working on his pincer grasp with CHEERIOS! I LOVE Cheerios. This is the first food I can fully share with Aiden. Anything else I give him has to be changed in some way to make it edible for a baby. I've been offering him Gerber cereal puffs, but they only have sweet flavors. Funny enough, that is a little bit of a turn off for Aiden. I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of Cheerios as a replacement. I read it in a magazine and immediately rolled my eyes at myself.

A couple nights ago Aiden tried cheese bread. I read that he can have hard cheeses now and I found another article that recommended melting cheese on a slice of bread or bagel. The dilemma for me was should I cut it up in little bitty pieces? Or give it to him whole? I ended up cutting it into slices, so they were the same size as his biter biscuits. He seemed to like it and as a plus, he didn't choke!

Yesterday he was playing at his toy table. One of the stations is a book that has one flip page. When turned, the page initiates music to play. Aiden got SOOO annoyed with the book at that table when he couldn't get the "next page" to turn. =( Poor guy! He's just figuring things out, like books have multiple pages of turning delight, when BAM! Life throws him a curve ball and gives him a one page book. That is glued to the table. Ugh, the NERVE!

2 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

He is growing up so fast!
As far as the sippy cups go, try to find one with the silicone. Its kind of like a big bottle! The top snaps into the outer ring which then "screws" on to the cup part (just like a bottle). THey can turn those upside down without being dripped on and there isn't such a huge transition between the rubbery feeling to the hard top! Just an idea! Also, they do make those puffs...in sweet potato flavor...and some others to that aren't too sweet! Logan always loved cheerios too!

Nikki said...

I've seen the sweet potato puffs, but we haven't tried them yet. I figured it would be sweet too. Although, he seems to not like tartness, so maybe the sweet potato flavor would be okay.

As for the sippy cup, we've only tried one so far - Munchkin (http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?section=prodCategories&ID=10021&pID=1102). It only leaks a little, but it does leak. I'm not sure how to offer it to him. I'm thinking about laying him back and feeding him with it like it's a bottle to get him to REALLY try it.

Powered By Blogger