Friday, March 26, 2010

Ready to trade in a junker

Travis and I have come to the conclusion that we must get rid of the Murano. It has been nothing but problems since we bought it. Luckily, the majority of the repairs have been covered under the extended warranty that we bought with the car. We should have another three years with this warranty, but the idea of owning that car without a warranty makes my skin crawl.

I brought it in to the dealership yesterday to have the tires checked out. Whenever I drove, it sounded like there was a stick stuck in my tire that hit something every time the tire spun around. It got faster as the car sped up.

The mechanic called me in the morning to tell me the wheel bearing was bad. Okay, fine. "How much is it going to cost me?"

"$500 + tax"

WHAT?! Are you joking me? "That's not covered under the warranty?"

"It looks like you cancelled your service plan in 2008. It would have been covered under that."

Now I am unsure exactly what all the warranties are that we have, so I decided to tell the guy not to do anything until I speak with my husband. I called Travis and he had no idea what cancelled plan the mechanic was talking about. I asked Travis if he would call him back and talk it over. When he did, the mechanic told him the same thing. Travis' response?

"We BOUGHT the car in 2008. We cancelled nothing."

"Oh ya, look at that. The name on the cancelled warranty is different than the owner on this vehicle. Huh."

"Uh, ya. Could you look into that again and give me a call back?"
Sure enough, it's covered under the warranty that we have never cancelled. THANK GOD.

By this point, Travis is irate. He proceeds to tell the mechanic to check the other wheel bearing on the front axle. If one is out, why wouldn't the other one? He also tells the guy that we are tired of bringing the car into the shop every four months to have something repaired. We have been lucky thus far and, like I said, most everything has been covered under the warranty. But still, this car was supposed to make me feel safe on the road - which I DO NOT.

When I asked the mechanic how long the car could drive with the bad wheel bearing, he said there was no telling. It could be a day or it could be a year. And when it does go out, there would be no warning. The tire would either get stuck and stop spinning, or it would fall off. Neither of which would be that great going 70 mph down the interstate.

Point is, Travis told the guy to check everything that is covered under our warranty to see if there is anything else that needs to be replaced. Supposedly there was nothing else wrong. I have my doubts that they actually checked anything, but I do feel better that Travis let them know how we feel about this piece of junk.

So, $100 later, my car is driving smoother - like the day we bought it. Now I just need to get the AC serviced. The other day when I turned it on, it squealed at me. I'm hoping its not the belt, since we just had that replaced a few months ago. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

Alexa said...

So sorry to hear about your car woes...you should look into Toyota! They have excellent deals right now. If we were in a position, we'd probably get one they are so great!

Nikki said...

Everyone keeps saying that about Toyotas, but I am terrified of their accelerator issues. I need a stress-free vehicle.

Powered By Blogger