Monday, March 22, 2010

New Elevations


It's official. Aiden can pull himself up. It started Saturday with him pulling up on his knees at his table toy (seen above). I made a comment to Travis that night that we needed to lower his crib mattress so he doesn't pull himself out when he stands in his crib. BUT we didn't get to it that night.

The following morning, I laid Aiden down for his nap. He just WOULD NOT go to sleep. I could hear him talking through the baby monitor, but let him be since he was not upset. After 45 minutes of chatter, I decided to go in to help him get settled. The kid needs his naps! To my surprise, Aiden was STANDING in his crib. I freaked and pulled him out immediately to lower that crib mattress. Thankfully it only took about 10 minutes by myself (Travis was working at HD).

Fifteen minutes later, Aiden was STILL not asleep, so I went back in to lay him down and this is what I found:

Untitled from Nicolette Ward on Vimeo.

He ended up only getting 20 minutes of sleep during that nap, which was unfortunate because he is sick. He spent the entire day before (so sad we missed Blair's birthday!) fighting a fever. Then Sunday, we both had severe sniffles and a cough (same cough that we've had for TWO WEEKS).

Aiden still cannot crawl on his hands and knees. He's mastered the army crawl though. He can hover on his hands and knees, but the second he tries to take a "step" he falls to his belly. I guess the reason he can pull himself up onto furniture is because he can hover in the crawling position. Gives him some height.

I tell you what, it was a little bit of a shock once he started army crawling. Suddenly he cannot be left alone for even a moment, nor can he be trusted with anything on the floor level. I put away a bunch of stuff that he could really hurt himself with, including a guitar on a stand and I pushed the DVD towers into a corner together. We put a baby lock on the cabinet under the sink where we keep our household cleaners.

Aiden recently showed an interest in outlets (the one in the hallway in particular), so I told Travis I wanted to get outlet covers. He told me that Aiden could not electrocute himself by sticking his fingers in an outlet. He said that there is no way he could get his fingers in far enough to reach the electricity, plus he'd have to have his fingers in both holes at the same time in order to get a shock. My response? So you don't want outlet covers? You'd rather risk our son's life? What about forks? Or other items he might actually be able to fit into the outlet besides his fingers. Travis said, "No, we should get outlet covers." THEN WHY ARE YOU ARGUING WITH ME ABOUT THIS? Sheesh.

Ugh, anyway. My point is, I thought Aiden being able to move around on the floor was a shock. Saturday when Aiden was able to pull himself up on the coffee table I just about had a fit! A whole new level has opened up for Aiden. Guess that means it's time to start packing up anything below 3-4 feet. I guess we'll be ready if another hurricane ever hits.

3 comments:

Sara's Satire said...

hahaha...that boy is too cute! Landry has jsut started the army crawl...but she is slow going, especially since she is on hard wood floors...she seems to kind of slide because of her pants. LOL
I was the same way with the outlet covers...I didn't think they were really a necessity, but also didn't want to risk it...we only put them in the living room until he was old enough to walk from room to room and even then I think we opted out because he was always in my sight or JR's....looking back it was pretty stupid to not put them on all the outlets! I can't believe he is pulling himself up. My prediction - Aiden will be walking by 11 1/2 months...maybe he really will learn to walk before he gets the whole crawl thing!!!

Alexa said...

How cute is he?! You just have to laugh and smile when you walk in on that...

Anonymous said...

SOOO CUTE! I just love his laugh!

Powered By Blogger