Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Open Windows

Oh how I love the spring and fall here in Texas! It's usually the perfect temperature, between the oven-baking-hot of summer and the wet-humid-cold of winter. It also means I get to open the windows in the house and let in a nice breeze. Unfortunately it is still humid, which means my hair will permanently be a fro and all the papers on my fridge will wilt over. It's the price we pay for fresh air I suppose.

Despite the fact that my husband was gone all weekend working his butt off, we had a delightful weekend. Friday night we took it easy and watched the movie 2012. It was a pretty good movie with all the great graphic, but it's not one I will purchase. The beginning contained a ridiculous amount of impossible feats, including ramp jumping a limo and an RV and flying through a falling city. I think they included ten too many close calls. Throughout the entire film I was disturbed by the thought of being in those situations with a child. It was almost too much to bear.

Saturday I did a little cleaning around the house and started going through the boxes that my parents brought down here from their storage. I packed these boxes up the summer of 2002 just before moving to Texas for college. Oh my the memories! I've been reminded of my friends from Student Council and Sea World summer camps, the fact that I was accepted at ISU (also contemplated Ohio State and Oregon State) and had a music flashback when I came across several CDs including Will Smith Big Willie Style, White Town in Technology and OMC How Bizarre. WOW. I may have enjoyed toys of the 80's in my childhood (My Little Pony, Rainbow Brite, Cabbage Patch dolls, etc), but I am definitely a product of the 90's.

Saturday afternoon I went up to Chris and Alexa's to get a little adult time into my day while Travis went to his electrician job. Sometimes I forget that I have plenty of friends with kids slightly older than Aiden that have an endless source of experience with child rearing. It was nice to get some tips, and at the very least, hear that others have dealt with the same stuff and survived. Not that Aiden is a difficult child by any means. I just worry that I might do something wrong and doom him to a life of therapy.

Anyhoo, Alexa had to run to the airport to pick up her parents, so I ran home to meet Travis - that way we could ride one car together. We don't have much time to catch up with each other these days, so a 30-minute car ride can be precious time. When we got back to the Ramby's house we headed over to their neighbor's house for a crawfish boil. Again, I have NO PICTURES. I've really been slacking with the camera lately. How will I ever remember these activities without a photo to jog my memory?! Gah. We had a great time, even though I don't have hard proof. We were idiots and stayed there until 11, so the next day was a little rough on both of us.

Sunday, Travis worked at Home Depot. I took a nap at the same time as Aiden in the morning, which means my AM was shot. I went through one of the storage boxes again and then we drove down to Galveston to meet Travis for lunch. Mmmm, Subway. This was our first chance to try out the nifty disposable placemats we bought for using at restaurants with Aiden. It was just as handy as I had imagined.

After lunch, we dropped Travis back off at work and headed over to Target for some shopping. Aiden was overdue for some older-baby toys and I needed to grab a couple of other items (Blair's birthday is next weekend). I love Target. I mean really, I think that place is my favorite place to shop, ever. The toy section is a whole new adventure for me now. I finally remembered to pick up some rice cakes for Aiden to try out. He really seemed to enjoy them last night, so I'll have to get the other flavors later. For now, Mommy can share the caramel-flavored rice cakes with him (the only kind I like).

Sunday night, Scott and Rachel came over to celebrate Pi Day! We watched Napoleon Dynamite for the 300th time, ate pizza and of course, pie! Apple, to be precise. With a side of vanilla ice cream. Oh how I love nerd holidays.

PS - I learned that there is a bonus scene at the end of Napoleon Dynamite that I never knew about! HOW COULD I NOT KNOW ABOUT THAT?!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger