Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Ride Home

Sunday before we left Chris and Shannon's, we hung out at their house. After breakfast, the boys went in the backyard to let the dogs run around. I looked out the big picture window to see Chris pulling weeds out of the ground while Travis watched from afar. I asked Shannon if she knew what they were doing. She knew not. We stood at the window trying to figure it out, when a little baby bunny came bounding out of the tall grass and into the dog run. He was so tiny and cute! And then we realized that there were dogs out there with this tiny, cute creature. EEK.

We ran outside and Shannon yelled at Chris to grab their bigger dog. Then Lightning Fingers Shannon caught the little bugger. It was horrible because he wouldn't stop screaming until Shannon let him go. He was SO UPSET. She put the bunny in a kennel with grass so her daughter Caty could see it before releasing him away from their home. In the afternoon, they let him go farther away from their house in hopes that he wouldn't hop right back to the dog run.

For lunch we ordered take-out pizza from an Italian restaurant in town. Chris stopped on his way back to pick up some Dublin Dr. Pepper. I guess the difference is that it is made the original way - with pure sugar cane, as opposed to high fructose corn syrup. It was so cute because it came in little 8-oz glass bottles. The pizza was AWESOME. I was so mad I didn't have room to fit the remaining pizza in my mouth before we left. I was a big fan of food before I got pregnant, but I cannot even begin to describe the awesomeness of it during pregnancy.

While we were on the road at one point, I mentioned to Chris that I had not seen any Bluebonnets since I moved to this state. Shortly thereafter, he showed me fields and fields of the flower. This purplish-blue beauty lined the highway for a good portion of the trip home. We left their house around 2 in the afternoon and since there weren't horrific thunderstorms, we made it to Houston in record time.

When we reached Houston, Travis pulled off for gas. While I was waiting in the car for him to finish pumping I had to sit staring at a bum leaning against the gas station. A moment later, a woman (that we had seen walking drunkenly down the sidewalk) walked up to the man at the next pump. She loudly slurred a request for a ride. "Just a block," she said. "Just a block is all I need." I don't know if she was tired of walking or if she might have other ideas for the ride there. When she said she would pay him for his troubles, the man agreed, but said to give the bum the money. She walked over to the bum, pulled him down to her (he was really tall, she was really short), kissed him on the cheek and handed him the money. Then she walked back over to the car and got in for her ride. I was thoroughly creeped out.

Once we were back on the highway, we started to discuss where to stop for dinner. You know those delivery trucks that aren't full size, but local grocery stores use them to transport goods? Well, we saw one of them driving down the highway, back door open, FULL OF PEOPLE. Travis immediately wondered out loud if the driver knew all his illegals were in plain view. As we got closer, we realized everyone was wearing Houston Chronicle jackets and at least half of them were not of hispanic descent. Even though it may not have been a truck full of illegal aliens, I'm pretty sure that method of transporting people is NOT LEGAL.

When we got to the south side of Houston, we ran into a horrible detour. The entire highway was being re-routed to the feeder. That has stop lights. Travis was too frustrated to follow the masses, so he turned off into a neighborhood. We quickly found ourselves in Mexico. No joke people. Every house in that neighborhood had a hispanic family sitting out front. Once we got into the business section, every sign we saw was in spanish. Every store and restaurant served mexican food and looked like it was straight off the streets of Mexico. We were definitely the only white folk in the area. The only reason I knew we hadn't been transported south was because I recognized some of the Houston street names. IT WAS SO WEIRD.

At one point, we were sitting at a stoplight in front of Guarderia Infantiles waiting for green when we saw a Cutlass Supreme doing hydraulic wheelies. AT THE STOP LIGHT. In case you do not know exactly what I am talking about, I have found a link to a video demonstrating what we saw. I have never, in real life, seen a car hopping it's wheels off the ground before. Not to mention in the middle of traffic - not in some parking lot somewhere. I've seen dumbasses wiggling their car around on the hydraulics, but I have never seen a vehicle leave the ground like that. Except on TV. Where the hell were we?!

I was happy when we made it back to our part of town and were sitting in the booth at IHOP. Nothing like Belgian Waffles with Butter Pecan syrup and chocolate milk to help soothe the day away!

No comments:

Powered By Blogger